[aerogear-dev] [EARLY] Initial version of iOS notification tutorial

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Mon May 27 02:09:02 EDT 2013

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 6:45 AM, Douglas Campos <qmx at qmx.me> wrote:

> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 02:28:47PM -0400, Jay Balunas wrote:
> > One question that came up around the JMS stuff is how will it work on
> > top of plain old Tomcat?  Will we be including the extra libs for that
> > case?  Or perhaps that functionality is only available if JMS is part
> > of the container?
> That's exactly why I was unhappy with this change =/

fair point, right now JMS is not used for much.

Once a request hits the server (e.g. request against our HTTP sender API),
we produce a JMS message and send a "JOB Submitted" 200 HTTP request.
The consumer for the JMS message does all the work that _may_ take longer,
and is blocking IO (->JPA).
E.g. it looks up the MobileVariantInances and is responsible for delivering
the messages to the actual push networks (GCM/APNs).

I think, that we can remove the JMS part, at least for now. (e.g. for the
early August release). However, I am sure, that at some point messaging
will helpful for scaling/throughput.

For now, we could use CDI events in combination with the @Asynchronous EJB
annotation (for publishing and receiving).

would that be OK ?

-M