[aerogear-dev] AeroGear Push Message Format

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Tue May 28 02:43:34 EDT 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM, Corinne Krych <corinnekrych at gmail.com>wrote:

> When doing selective push query, is there any overlap between mobile
> variant (which I understand like mobile type which contains certificates)
> and device type?

MobileVariant (or call it type) is something like "Android", or "iOS".
deviceTypes would be iPad, iPod, iPhone, iWatch :)  - or "Android Table",
"Andrpid phone", android what not

Sure.... ideally there are several variants:
- iOS iPhone 5 optimised app in the app store
- iOS iPhone 4s optimised app in the app store
- iOS iPhone 3 optimised app in the app store
- iOS iPad mini optimised app in the app store
etc :)

But, if there is only one variant, it's totally valid to install an iOS
application (from the appstore), on an iPad and an iPhone;

> Both aimed at defining categories.
> Are those categories defined and fixed in the spec or can they be extended?

I don't understand categories, here

> Can we do a selective push based on mobileType=mobile variant and
> alias=john at gmail?

deviceType and alias should be possible;
It should be also possible to combine that with a variant

==> variant: iOS (since we have only one iOS varaint) + deviceType:iPadMini
 + alias: mwessendorf

I need to add that to the "Message Format" / spec