[aerogear-dev] Geotagged notifications

Miiguel Lemos miguel21op at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 06:22:31 EDT 2014

Geotagged notifications are a very relevant component of any service of push notifications.

First of all, because of marketing reasons: when a notfication is received in the scope of a given geofence (for instance the proximity to a venue, store, etc.) the probability of the user react to it is much bigger.

Using other technologies (other than GPS, cell towers, Wi-FI, etc) - I can come back to this later - you can also use location based services for automated in-house check-ins and subsequent events (many...).

Basically there are two ways of managing geotagged - I'd prefer to say location based - notifications:

A) The phone sends periodically its location to a server and the backend sends to the phone -  via Google, Apple, whatever - the push not;

B) The server sends to the phone all the geotagged notifications it has for a given user or group, and te terminal itself checks locally if the location criteria are matched, triggering the local notification if that match occurs (considerang also the radius, accuracy of the coordinates, etc.)

At this moment I'll not elaborate more ore on this, but the second way has several advantages over the first.

Of course the second method has several implications, namelly in the flow of the service, but if you want we can talk about this later.

Other issues, like battery drainage, privacy matters, etc. must also be taken into account in the solution implemented...

Miguel

Enviado do meu iPad