[aerogear-dev] Quickstarts revamp..or not...

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Fri Aug 15 04:18:42 EDT 2014

Howdy!

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Bruno Oliveira <bruno at abstractj.org>
wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> Today at our quickstarts, it doesn't make sense the server[1] without an
> interface[2] (I guess).

I think one of the reasons was: RESTful server/interface does not always
require a "web-ui", especially since it was mainly created to serve mobile
apps/clients.

Instead of throwing the 'inherited' web-ui away, there was talks to have it
separate. This would also allow one to deployed on a different machine (if
there was a need for a web-ui). Dan worked on CORS for that.

> I was just wondering if we could merge both in a single project. Or
> maybe make the webapp have the server as dependency, not sure.

If that makes things easier, I am for it - I don't have a strong feeling on
that one.

> Btw the name "client" for the webapp is a little bit odd to me, once it
> requires a server.

It's a client, similar to the mobile apps. The payload posted from both,
mobile (e.g. iOS) and the web-app, go eventually against the 'backend
server' for persistence.
However the deployment environment is slightly different - yes. The iOS
demo needs a mobile device as its 'container', while the web-ui needs a
JavaEE/Web container.

I think this is very similar to our old [TODO app], which had two WAR files
as well. One is 'server.war', the other is the 'client.war' (containing the
JS and HTML files).

-Matthias

[TODO app] https://github.com/aerogear/TODO