[aerogear-dev] Differences between Firefox OS "native" Push lib and AeroGear's Push adapter

Sebastien Blanc scm.blanc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 17:22:35 EST 2014

Hi,
While playing today with my Firefox Device and its native Simple Push
support I noticed  some differences between our implementation and the
native Push regarding the success callback after a register :

//Native FFOS Push
broadcastRequest = navigator.push.register();
broadcastRequest.onsuccess = function (event) {
      broadcastEndpoint = broadcastRequest.result; // only contains the pushURL
 }

//Aerogear Push Adapter
broadcastRequest = navigator.push.register();
broadcastRequest.onsuccess = function (event) {
      broadcastEndpoint = broadcastRequest.result.pushEndpoint;
      channelID = broadcastRequest.result.channelID;
      version = broadcastRequest.result.version;
      status = broadcastRequest.result.status
 }

So, the AeroGear Push exposes much more in the callback that it should
suppose to do : just exposing the pushEndpoint.

The reason we do that I suppose, but Luke or Kris could confirm that, is
that we thought respecting the SPS protocol, which indeed returns a whole
object containing all the info. It is just that the Native Push Client API
filter that out in the callback response.
After discussing that on the #push channel with the Mozilla people they
confirmed me that we should only expoe the pushEndpoint.

If we keep it as is, this can be problematic when we want to use the same
code both for native and with the adapter when, for instance, registering
to the UPS :

broadcastRequest = navigator.push.register();
broadcastRequest.onsuccess = function (event) {
      broadcastEndpoint = event.target.result;
      var broadCastSettings = {
          metadata: {
              deviceToken: broadcastEndpoint.channelID,
              simplePushEndpoint: broadcastEndpoint.pushEndpoint
          }
       }
     UPClient.registerWithPushServer(broadCastSettings);
}

This won't work with the native push since "broadcastEndpoint.channelID"
will be undefined.

So I propose that we change the behaviour, to return only the pushEndpoint
in the callback, even if that means a bit of String manipulation when we
want to perform the registration to the UPS :

var broadCastSettings = {
        metadata: {
            deviceToken:
broadcastEndpoint.substr(broadcastEndpoint.lastIndexOf('/') + 1),
            simplePushEndpoint: broadcastEndpoint
                   }
         }

wdyt ?

Seb

ps : our SPS Server implementation stays correct and returns what should be
returned, it's really just the client part and how we expose the result