[aerogear-dev] iOS Scaffolding

Sebastien Blanc scm.blanc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 03:47:52 EST 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Corinne Krych <corinnekrych at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 18 Feb 2014, at 18:05, Sebastien Blanc <scm.blanc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks !
> >
> > While I was watching Matzew's screencast[1] about using the AeroGear iOS
> Template (which bootstrap/help to create a new iOS project) I was thinking
> about pushing the concept even further.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be nice to be able to scaffold a complete CRUD Native iOS
> app ? And of course by using the bullets we already have  :  Forge.
>
> You would generate server and client side at once?

Well, the iOS generation will be just one specific forge command, the rest
are just "existing/vanilla" forge commands (entiies creation, REST
endpoints creation)

> > The idea would be to have the same stuff as the HTML5 Scaffolding
> plugin/addon but instead of generating JS and html files we generate *.h
> and *.m files (and of course a complete iOS app structure). The general
> workflow would stay the same : create a JEE project, generate entities,
> generate REST endpoints and scaffold the client.
> >
> > So basically all we would have to do is to write those templates (+ some
> code to write to the correct location / create the skeleton).
> >

> I would start with an app generated with iOS template for simple Pipe, and
> then add to it. See my questions below.
>
> > I will be glad to start on this but I would need some help from the iOS
> gurus for one thing : having a clean iOS CRUD App  from which I could
> reverse engineer/extract the templates. This app, while staying simple,
> should contain all the possible use cases : String, numbers, boolean, Date
> but also some relation between entities  (1-to-1, 1-to-many) :
>
> With Pipes and Stores, we use more a Key/Value approach. Not sure what you
> have in mind to represent relation.

Well, not sure how it is implemented in iOS but for instance when you
choose a team, a list of players should also be retrieved.

> In term of UI what do you want to see?
> first screen: Team TableView with static table cell, Players and
> Tournaments cell link to second screen TableView
> second screen: Player TableView with a list of player displaying only
> name, selecting a player will go to third screen Player details
> third screen: Player Details static table view with date display etc...
>
> Then we might need a descriptive/configurable way of saying to forge this
> is my main screen, on that list display 'player name' etc...
> What's your view on that?

We could do like the grails html5 scaffold plugin : the main screen
contains a list of the entities, when you select an entity by default you
go to the list view and in the bottom bar you have a button to create a new
one.
When a entity entry is selected in the bottom bar you can : edit or delete