[aerogear-dev] Google summer of code

Bruno Oliveira bruno at abstractj.org
Fri Feb 21 14:34:00 EST 2014

Hi Ted, answers inline.

--
abstractj

On February 21, 2014 at 2:02:34 PM, TedGoddard (ted.goddard at icesoft.com) wrote:
> > Hi Matthias,
>
> It has been a while, it's good to talk with you again.
>
> ICEsoft is interested in building a first-class integration
> between AeroGear
> and BridgeIt -- AeroGear provides storage and security features
> and BridgeIt
> provides web-based device features (without the App Store aspect
> of
> Cordova). Even the push technologies are complementary and

I can be wrong, but that would be a great opportunity to your company submit ideas for GSoC, but I can’t see how students would get familiarized with AeroGear. Is a great idea, but would be nice to not mix things up.

> could be
> combined (but that looks like a much larger project, so could
> be
> investigated later).
>
> I agree, the GSoC project needs to run it's own course -- but those
> are cool
> topics, so it would be interesting to also try a BridgeIt integration
> for
> any device features that were needed. If those projects didn't
> go forward
> before, ICEsoft could start them off as new AeroGear/BridgeIt
> demos.

If the company is interested on such kind of integration, we are here to help, but again it doesn’t seem to be the focus of GSoC. I would rather to have students learning with Matthias about how the push technology works, writing Cordova plugins, playing with Android….

> (Mobile collaboration seems fairly important, as of yesterday
> it's
> apparently worth $19B.)

Yeah, mobile market has a ton of money for crappy apps like Whatsapp which doesn't care about privacy. But the most valuable thing about GSoC is not money, but the knowledge gained from such amazing experience.