[aerogear-dev] Docs: update on the UPS docs

Sebastien Blanc scm.blanc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 04:28:07 EDT 2014

Hey Michelle !
I like your TOC for the guide.
Some comments inline

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 1:18 AM, Michelle Murray <mmurray at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> separate the existing tutorials into 2 distinct categories.
>
> I've included ideas about the content for each of these categories/docs
> below. I've tried to fill out the table of contents for the docs from what
> Matthias listed and the docs on the site. As Matthias said, the info in the
> specs will likely be included in the UPS Guide so they'll become obsolete.
>
> Please let me know what you think and how I can help further.
>
> Thanks,
> Michelle
>

> *Unified Push Server Guide*
>
> 1. Overview
>     1.1 About the Unified Push Server
>         [Overview only: What it is, What it consists of, What makes it
> different from other push servers]
>     1.2 Use Cases of the Unified Push Server
>         [Who uses it, When to use it, Why use it]
>     1.3 Useful Terminology
>         [Glossary]
>     1.4 How the Unified Push Server Works
>         [The details: What is the workflow for Admins and Devs using it?
> How do apps interact with it; basically setting out the tasks that need to
> be done and that come in the remaining chps of this guide]
>
> 2. Installing the Unified Push Server on JBoss (Wildfly? other non-JBoss
> servers? make generic server?)
>         [When would choose this option, Components needed]
>         [Steps for installing and running]
>         [Any special JBoss configuration needed or options available]
>
> 3. Installing the Unified Push Server on OpenShift
>         [When would choose this option, Components needed]
>         [Steps for installing and running: OpenShift UI, rhc CLI, JBoss
> Tools OpenShift Tools?]
>         [Any special OpenShift configuration needed or options available]
>
> 4. Administering the Unified Push Server Console
>         [Chapter for Admins, common info regardless of underlying UPS
> hosting sever type]
>         [Overview: What is the console, when to use, who uses]
>         [How to access]
>         [Features: Enroll/remove console users (devs, admins, viewers),
> ..., (can also complete UPS actions relating to specific apps but see next
> chp for that info)]
>         [Any console customization? change password, ...]
>         [Additional security?]
>
> 5. Configuring and Managing Applications that use the Unified Push Server
>         [Chapter for Devs; Admins can also do the tasks in the console]
>         [Overview of process: register app and variants with server,
> include server specific info in app, host app for users to install, apps
> can send automated push notification requests to server using JavaSender
> API or can use unified push server to send manual push notifications]
>         [How to register app and variants with server, add pointers to any
> variant prerequisites like needing certificates for Apple, can give more
> extended info in Tutorials**]
>         [How to configure app source code so as to use server - keep it
> minimal and focused on which info needed from UPS to be added to app source
> code, can give more extended info in Tutorials**]

Here, I imagine we just point out the registration snippets that are
generated ? Do we just focus on the Client Apps or do we mention the Java
Sender  or see [1] ?

>         [How to send push notification, disable push notifications for
> selected installs, ...]

Here, we explain how to use the "Send Push"  screen ?

>         [For examples of this in action see Tutorials**]

I would add a section about the stats and metrics

> 6. More Information
>         [Info on adding and testing push notifications on various
> Application variants, see Tutorials**]
>         [Info on developing applications that use automated push
> notifications, see Tutorial"]
>         [Info on push and push server APIs, see blah page for a linked
> lists of APIs]
>
> [1] I know we have a tutorial on the Sender, but maybe it will not hurt to
have a small section on how to integrate UPS with your Java EE Backend

> ***Tutorials: Adding and Testing Push Notifications for Applications*
> 1. Introduction
>         [Each variant has different requirements in terms of
> preconfiguration and where in source code to add push server info]
>         [Tutorials look at each variant and walk through an example of
> configuring push notifications for each variant]
>         [Assumes push server is running and dev enrolled to use it]
>

> 2. ANPs
> http://aerogear.org/docs/guides/aerogear-push-ios/
>
> 3. GCM
> http://aerogear.org/docs/guides/aerogear-push-android/
> http://aerogear.org/docs/guides/aerogear-push-chrome/
>
> 4. Cordova
> http://aerogear.org/docs/guides/aerogear-push-cordova-ios/
> http://aerogear.org/docs/guides/aerogear-push-cordova-android/
> http://aerogear.org/docs/guides/aerogear-cordova/AerogearCordovaPush/

Like Matthias said, we will have just one single page for that now