[aerogear-dev] News from iOS Modules front

Bruno Oliveira bruno at abstractj.org
Fri Jul 25 10:11:14 EDT 2014

Hi Corinne,

I'm not against removing the prefix, but to keep the consistency, if the
remove is called potatos-iOS, it must have the same name on Cocoapods.

We discussed this during the F2F about getting rid of the prefix, but I'm not
sure what has changed now to other team members. Regarding the argument
of keeping it organized, that's not valid to me, is always possible to create a
folder with all the projects inside.

But if most of the team disagree, seems like our suggestion during the
meeting is not valid anymore.

On 2014-07-25, Corinne Krych wrote:

> On 25 Jul 2014, at 09:46, Sebastien Blanc <scm.blanc at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 9:37 AM, Corinne Krych <corinnekrych at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 25 Jul 2014, at 09:13, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org> wrote:
> >

> > > On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 11:20 PM, Corinne Krych <corinnekrych at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hello Guys,
> > >
> > > Last Tuesday during our (favourite) iOS meeting [1] [2] we talked about modularization. We agreed with Android team modularization is scheduled for 2.0.
> > >
> > > For iOS we have several actions:
> > >
> > > 1. rename existing repos (too bad we don’t follow well Android convention)
> > >         • aerogear-ios-crypto
> > >         • aerogear-ios-push (thanks passos for the suggestion)
> > >         • aerogear-ios-otp
> > >         • aerogear-ios-xcode-template
> > >         • aerogear-ios-cookbook
> > >
> > > Since we’re talking about renaming, what about dropping “arerogear” for the repo name?
> > >
> > > +1 makes sense
> >

> > It looks like we don’t have the same view here. Obviously if we go renaming we will have to change all the repos. With or without, coonsistency is key.
> >
> > My main motivation for dropping aerogear prefex was that ag is already present in the name of the organisation. Besides as we go with fine grained modularisation, our libs can be used independently, the naming without prefix is to enforce that.
> >
> > @passos and all others guys not in favor for dropping prefix, may I ask why?
> >
> > If we put GH and organization appart, will the name "AeroGear" appears anywhere in the lib name/pod when someone install it through cocoapods ?
> >

> Yeap we’ll keep aerogear as a prefix for cocoapods
> https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear-otp-ios/blob/master/AeroGear-OTP.podspec#L18
>
> Good question: What about the other modules?
>

> > > all those repos belong to aerogear organization anyway. Maybe removing the aerogear part will stress more the small libraries aspect. Maybe sth we already discussed but can’t remember/find it. wdyt?
> > >
> > > 2. Pipe and Store deprecated. All aerogear-ios we’ll stick to 1.7 version and will be marked deprecated.
> > > But …. don’t be scared new modules will replace them:
> > >
> > > • aerogear-ios-http : Lightweight lib around NSURLSession to ease HTTP calls with pluggable request and response Serializers. Very very Draft version [3] with some cookbook recipe [4]. With this module we will work directly with NSURLSession (iOS foundation networking) instead of using AFNetworking. Sure Andrea will like it: no dependency :)
> > > • aerogear-ios-oauth2 : dependent on aerogear-ios-http, bring all the good stuff like AccountManager, OAuth2 extensible adapters, fluid http post/get ...
> > > • aerogear-ios-storage usage of incrementalStorage to plug into Core Data
> > >

> > > +1 all of that sounds awesome!
> > >

> > > Those modules will be written in Swift code. We’ll test them both in iOS7 and iOS8.
> > >
> > > +1 on Swift!
> > >

> > > 3. Cookbook recipes rpo
> [...]

abstractj
PGP: 0x84DC9914