[aerogear-dev] Android OAuth2 PR

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Mon May 5 12:57:55 EDT 2014

Corinne, Bruno, see reply inline.

On 05/05/2014 12:40 PM, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> Hi Corinne, answers inline
>
> On 2014-05-05, Corinne Krych wrote:

>>> What's the real need behind store those tokens?
>> It’s useful (more UX friendly I guess) to ask only once if you want to grant access to this third party app. It’s a common pattern in application like GoogleDrive.
>> I’ve seen app that stores those token in KeyChain
What Corrine said.  It is considered a bad experience to always ask for
authorization.  Also this let's us have things stay in the background
without always have to reauthorize.

Doubly also is that refresh tokens must be stored long term.
> I can be wrong, but to open the KeyChain or Keystore a password is
> required. How the workflow would look like? Or the plan is to set an
> empty password?
>
>>> If is really necessary,
>>> that's ok, otherwise let's do not store it. Offline, OAuth2 tokens are
>>> useless.
>>>
>>> Or add an option to choose between store or not store like mentioned
>>> here.
>> +1
>> Definitively have it optional
I'm fine with optional.  Though I think storing them should be the
default behavior.

>>> Encryption won't fix this, worse, will add an extra level of complexity
>>> to the application. Let's think about it, what do we need for
>>> encryption?
>>>
>>> 1. Generate a private key
>>> 2. If it doesn't have a password is worthless (for local storage)
>>> 3. Alright, is password based, let's encrypt everything now
>>> 4. Now at every inclusion of tokens, you prompt users for the password
>>>
>>> They would remember your name forever sometimes attached to bad names.
>>> IMO my suggestion is:
>>>
>>> 1. Leave it as is and never allow to store in any kind of external storage
>>> 2. Do not store (+1)
>>> 2. Cache and destroy it when the application is closed
>>> 4. Use encryption and make the whole application more complex
>>
>> what about storing them in Keychain/Keystore?
> Please, see my question above.
My idea for this was lean on the crypto APIs to prompt for a
password/passphrase when it is appropriate.

Since the refresh token (and to a lesser extend the access token) can be
used to gain access to everything the app could it would be a nice
feature to keep it stored encrypted to keep it safe from pesky file dumpers.

> --
>
> abstractj

Summers Pittman