[aerogear-dev] Keycloak integration

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Tue May 6 05:49:39 EDT 2014

Hello folks!

Bill Burk was helping on the Keycloak front and besides fixing related
items on the Keycloak server, he also created an example that we can use as
a template for the actual integration. See [1]

In the past, Bruno and I did integrate w/ an external Keycloak server (see
[2]), and we did include the keycloak.json file (See [3]). Thanks to Bill's
work on Keycloak, the 'protected app' no longer needs that, see [4].
Also there is no more the need to customize the Keycloak Rest Application
(Stian and I did look into that as well).

Good news: This means the UPS can stay as it is -> no need to change
internals (e.g. the 'bundle all in one WAR file' did force us to change our
'/rest' URLs, as Keycloak uses them, see [5]).

Inside of our 'modular' Keycloak branch (see [2] again), we can apply the
work from Bill:
* our current 'server' module will use a listener similar to [4]
* create a "ups-auth" module similar to [6]

On the 'ups-auth module' there is one area where we need to have some
future improvement:
* testrealm.json -> needs to be in Java code, due to the URL being
hard-coded in there (we need to resolve the URL of the host, running the
bits). But, IMO for now that should be good enough.

Bruno did offer to help out on the Keycloak integration, so that I can go
back to the analytics and mertrics feature. Thanks abstractj!! <3

Greetings,
Matthias

[1]
https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/tree/master/project-integrations/aerogear-ups