[aerogear-dev] [UPS] UI for Sent Push stats

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Wed May 14 04:46:35 EDT 2014

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 10:23 PM, Jay Balunas <jbalunas at redhat.com> wrote:

> Wanted to chime in here.  The overall goal of the metrics/stats imo, is
> around letting developers/administrators know what is happening with the
> server.  Messages in/out, registrations, etc....  This will also help new
> developers see activity and do some basic debugging if devices fail to
> register or messages fail to send.
>
> Maybe in the future we'll get into more analytics, resource usage type
> stuff but for Mobile Push 1.0 I think this is overkill.  For example I
> would not expect us to store this data over 30 days or so, and have viewing
> options like "last hour", "last 24 hours", "yesterday", "last 7 days",
> etc...

yeah - a simple history of messages sent

> Building on what Matthias posted below, here are some breakdowns of stats
> we could/should track:
>
> Registration:
> -- Device registered with [x,y,z] metadata
> -- Device removed with [x,y,z] metadata

let's focus on message sent stats for now

> Messages:
> -- Push request <timestamp-id> received from [ip] with [x,y,z] metadata
> -- Push request <timestamp-id> matched XYZ devices and sent [ AB: APNS, CD
> GCM, etc...]
> -- Push request <timestamp-id> had foo errors : details

Yes, these are nice items for the details once you click on a push message
in that 'history table view' (e.g. IP address, full criteria, error
details, etc).

The table itself could be really simple:
* time of sending
* content/payload of the message
* could be sent out to (e.g. a status icon *green/red*)

Once a user clicks an entry, we would display more details

> These would all have app and variant info as part of the metadata so they
> can filtered/broken down as needed.
>
> This should give us a great base for all kinds of table and chart views.
> -- Registrations over time for the server, specific app, specific variant
> -- Messages over time for the server, specific app, specific variant
> -- Table of the above if feasible :-)

yeah, all that is good - but IMO more a dashboard (e.g. over time we could
also show how often an app has been launched (per variant) - and with some
work on the registration SDKs, we could (not 1.0) show how often an app has
been opened by a push