[aerogear-dev] Node.js / Passport.js thoughts (was: Re: OAuth2, OpenID connect and AeroGear)

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Thu Oct 30 14:20:04 EDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Lucas Holmquist <lholmqui at redhat.com>
wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2014, at 9:41 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> Hello team!
>
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 4:49 AM, Bruno Oliveira <bruno at abstractj.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Note: Not only for Keycloak, but also compatible with other technologies
>> like passport on Node.js.
>

> Great point on being compatible with passport.js! To ensure our OAuth2
> client SDKs do work against node.js (w/ passport.js), how about we build a
> Node.js based version of our "Shoot-n-Share backend" ([1]), that is
> protected by Passport.js?
>

> So to clear up some confusion that might be happening with what passport
> is, it is not an OAuth2 server thing.
>
> it’s really just middleware(think of it as a servlet filter for you java
> weenies) for express.js,  and by using adapters(like a FB or google), it
> can secure RESTful endpoints in that express.js app.
>
> I think the thing that we can do here is make a keycloack adapter for
> passport, using the OAuth2 protocol( similar to passports FB and google
> adapters );

+1 would be nice to get this in https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGJS-252

On short term, it would be possible to use their existing adapters for
FB/Google and protect the node.js backend with these adapters, right ?

Sounds like the AGJS-252 is the ultimate solution we want, but I think for
a quick test/verification (or even example) of our Android/iOS OAuth2
clients, using the FB/Google adapters from passprt.js would be a good first
start ?

-Matthias