[aerogear-dev] Android topic messaging enhancements (AGDROID-470)

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Sat Jul 25 05:24:01 EDT 2015

sorry for the late response ;-)

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 10:51 PM, Summers Pittman <supittma at redhat.com>
wrote:

> So good news,
>
> Topic support for GCM is trivial to implement.  In fact after 20 minutes I
> have most of the work done in the Android library.  The behavior of topics
> matches the behavior of categories.  I would like to propose some
> enhancements.

yay

> 1) Changing categories/topics currently requires the application to
> unregister and reregister on UPS.  I would like to add a subscribe and
> unsubscibe method to the pushRegistrar interface which will subscribe and
> unsubscribe the device from topics.

Ok, makes sense. Actually I like the idea. Should this be done on the other
SDKs too? If so... does it make sense to change the RESTful endpoint to?
e.g. do a PUT to update the device metadata?

I recall we kinda had this talk before. See:
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AGPUSH-1399

> 2) All Message listeners receive messages from all topics the device is
> subscribed to.  I would like to extend registrar manager to be able to
> attach messages handlers per topic as well as globally.

Due to the nature of the Android layer around GCM 3, this is specific to
Android only, right ?

+1 on this. Same reasoning like Erik Jan here :)

> This are both simple, easy changes which shouldn't be a lot of work and
> will really improve the push experience in Agdroid 3.0.
>
> wdyt?

bring it on :)