[Aerogear-users] Unclear when to use setContentAvailable()

Rob Willett rob.aerogear at robertwillett.com
Thu Dec 3 13:01:02 EST 2015

Hi,

We now seem to have something approaching a stable and working UPS
configuration. (Famous last words!) Thanks to the Aerogear team for
helping resolve the background notifications on Android.

As we are tidying up, we noticed (ahem) that we had commented out a few
lines in our code.

```
	if (event['content-available'])
     {
	    // Still not clear what to do with this.
         // push.setContentAvailable(1);
	}
```

We went back to the Aerogear docs and tried to work out what
setContentAvailable really does and what should we do with it. The docs
for the function call  are a little sparse, so we looked at the source
code and we’re still no wiser.

Is there a better explanation of when we should call setContentAvailable
and with which parameter?

Just to set the ball rolling we *think* it could mean that when you
receive the content-available = 1 flag on iOS, we do a call to get some
data from the server ourselves, if the the results of *our* server call
indicate that we have received new data, we set the value to
setContentAvailable to 1, if our function call to the server has no
data, then we set it to zero and if something failed we set it to 2.

So what happens if the value is 0, 1 or 2? if its 2, is a new new call
made to something, if its 0 or 1 what happens?

Apologies if we’ve missed the point of it, but we’re struggling to
understand this.

Thanks,

Rob.