[Aerogear-users] Deleting the installation and categories

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Wed Jul 1 05:34:03 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 7:45 PM, mo <michi.oshima at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We use  OpenShift AeroGear Push Server Cartridge
> <https://github.com/aerogear/openshift-origin-cartridge-aerogear-push>  .
>
> I was instructed to delete existing installations and their categories.
> What exactly do I need to do?  Would I simply truncate some DB tables?  If
> so, which ones?

I think it's just the Installation_Categories and Installations

> I believe deleting installations and categories is something I should do
> periodically.  What do you think?

No, it's not :-) you wanna keep the regsitered devices.

However, you are using SimplePush, and that awfully (as stated in the other
thread) has no way to identify if a channel/registration is invalid

> I'm thinking server cannot rely on
> clients to unregister their installations.

On "real" push networks, such as GCM/APNs, we have a way to cleanly auto
remove the broken channels

> Therefore stale installations
> would accumulate over time on the server.  Am I over-thinking this?

No - for SimplePush, this is a real problem - yes.

> Would there be anything to be periodically cleaned out on the side of
> simple-push server?

Depends... in worst case a few clients are lost, and dont get the version
increment delivered

> Thanks.

Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf