[Aerogear-users] AeroGear Crypto API on iOS with AES-GCM

Niko - Whitebox.one niko at whitebox.one
Wed Jun 17 09:06:11 EDT 2015

Hi,

I am interested in your crypto API specially on iOS and via
the cordova plugin.

The docs at

https://aerogear.org/docs/specs/aerogear-crypto/

clearly state that
on iOS the GCM mode for symmetric AES encryption is not supported
(because iOS CommonCrypto itself does not provide it as a public
interface)

And reading the latest code in the corresponding cordova
plugin tells me the same.

Nevertheless, the docs of the cordova plugin
at

https://aerogear.org/docs/specs/aerogear-cordova/AeroGear.Crypto.html

and

https://github.com/edewit/aerogear-crypto-cordova/blob/master/README.md

state the contrary: it seemslike GCM is supported both on iOS and
android.

So my 2 questions are:

- Is GCM mode for AES encryption
supported on iOS aerogear crypto module (and the cordova plugin) ? (my
bet is no)

- If not, how difficult would it be to use the private API
in iOS CommonCrypto ? I didnt try it myself, i have just been reading
the code....

Thanks in advance :)

Niko