[Aerogear-users] Unified Push Server - Anyway to delete notifications when in background?

Rob Willett rob.aerogear at robertwillett.com
Wed Nov 25 07:30:22 EST 2015

Erik,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Great minds think alike :)

We have already worked through this as an option and it is probably the
likeliest way forward for us. Indeed your notes and ours are almost
identical.

You (or Corrine) have correctly identified the pitfalls regarding
background and foreground. There is one other case and thats when the
app is not actually started up. We still want to send them notifications
(at least for a while) alerting them to traffic issues. After a day or
so, we’ll throttle back these notifications but at least for a few
hours or a day, we need to send them out. We can’t use the
content-available flag as the app isn’t running (in either bg or fg)
to handle the flag. So we have to try to work out if the app is
‘alive’ or not, if the app is not alive we send down full-fat
notifications, this means no content-available flag and full information
to be displayed in the notification drawer.

Our potential solution has us send out a single silent notification to
everybody who needs to be sent one. The device segmentation to determine
who gets information is already done by us. The payload for the silent
notification is actually empty and its used as a signalling mechanism.
This tells the app when it is in the fg or bg to phone home and get a
specific payload for that user. When the app contacts the backend
database to retrieve the payload, we flag the app as alive and working.

If we send out a silent notification but never get a response to get a
payload, then we flag the app as not started. After every batch of
silent notifications are sent, 60 secs later, we then do a second cycle
looking at whether the devices have NOT responded. If the app has not
responded then we move to full notifications for that device and don’t
use content-available. Once the user clicks on a notification and starts
the app up, we can see that and we move them into the ‘alive’ state,
so next time we send silent notifications.

The process diagram is a lot simpler than my explanation :)

The other reason for sending a single silent notification with little
information in and to get the app to respond to that single notification
is quite subtle and appears on the surface to be counter intuitive. We
*could* send down batches of notifications and so each device could
receive 3-4 notifications. This would mean that since we cannot predict
the order of the notifications or even if they arrive, we would have to
constantly be sending data back to our server telling us that the app is
alive. We would have 2-3 times the number of connections coming back in
which need to be processed very quickly. Our system is quite bursty,
nothing happens for 3-4 minutes and then all hell breaks lose as we have
to manage everything in around 30 secs. Also we are relying on every
notification getting through we would be sending a lot of data which you
have correctly identified as potentially an issue as well.

We also looked at sending our highly specific payloads, i.e. each user
getting one message but that one message has 3-4 notifications in it.
This would mean we have to process, generate and send thousands of
individual messages. We know we can generate the individual messages
quite quickly, but the the network connection costs are too high (so we
believe). Simply connecting to the servers, opening the connection,
sending and tearing the connection down could take a long time
(minutes?) for 5,000 users. We don’t want to spread the connection
time out, we want the data to get to the user ASAP.

If your views are different on the time take not do this, I’d be
interested in hearing them as we believe the connection time would be
too long. Since we don’t have 5,000 users we can’t easily test our
hypothesis.

Rob