[Apiman-user] Anyone interested in Prometheus metrics for apiman?

Marc Savy marc.savy at redhat.com
Wed Jan 13 10:39:26 EST 2016

Hi All,

Is anyone interested in Prometheus metrics/monitoring for apiman?

There's currently a PoC implementation for the Vert.x 3 gateway (which
none of you are likely using!), however it's probably of limited
practical use in the wild.

The nature of Prometheus is rather different to any of the other engines
we've worked with, in that you must define which measures you're
interested in a priori, rather than spitting out raw data and analysing
it later.

Clearly, this requires substantial decisions to be made in advance as to
what kind of metrics are important to you, and indeed which ones you
don't want.

I think in many cases we'll just have to provide a base class which can
be extended so you can implement your own measures in a way that suits you.

However, it would be good to provide a default implementation which has
a useful set of measures which will cover a least a substantial portion
of usecases.

Therefore, my questions are:

- Should we provide a default implementation of Prometheus metrics. Or
are requirements too diverse to make it worthwhile?

- If yes, which measures should we provide by default?

- Would there be an argument for having engines like Prometheus to be
run concurrently with another one (e.g. elaticsearch metrics), because
it serves a different purpose. What's your use case?

Regards,
Marc