[bv-dev] BVAL-265 - Expose settings defined in XML in the Configuration API

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Wed Jun 13 07:04:13 EDT 2012

On Jun 12, 2012, at 10:50 PM, Gunnar Morling wrote:

> Any preferences or other suggestions?

To take up my original questions again w/ my thoughts around it

* How do I interpret "typically the "META-INF/validation.xml file" - typically implies an alternative. Is there is one how do I
  differentiate between these alternatives? Shouldn't the docs read "Return information stored in META-INF/validation.xml"?

Apparently the "typically" comes from the idea that the configuration source could be different one (e.g. property file) for some
providers. IMO this is a provider specific feature. The specification uses validation.xml for these bootstrap parameters and that's
what the specification should be concerned about. How can I guarantee portable applications if Configuration#getConfigurationSource
does not returns the same values between different providers?

* What do I return if there is no validation.xml? null? Or the class names of the implementations default implementations?

I think there should be an ConfigurationSource (or whatever we are going to call it) instance returned, but the getters return null.

* Last but not least, why ConfigurationSource? If I look at the class I see configuration parameters so why not call this
  (ValidationXml)ConfigurationParamters or (ValidationXml)BootstrapParameters. "Source" implies for me that I can get information about
  how the configuration was provided, e.g. XML vs programmatic.

BootstrapConfiguration, DefaultConfiguration, ValidationXmlConfiguration (assuming that we are really only dealing w/ validation.xml)

--Hardy