[bv-dev] BVAL-265 - Expose settings defined in XML in the Configuration API

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Thu May 31 08:35:55 EDT 2012

Hi,

While working on the implementation of  1.1.0.Alpha1 I came across BVAL-265.
Basically the follwoing method got added to Configuration:

	/**
	 * Return information stored in the configuration source (typically the <i>META-INF/validation.xml</i>
	 * file).
	 * Implementations are encouraged to lazily build this object to delay parsing.
	 *
	 * @return {@code ConfigurationSource} object
	 */
	ConfigurationSource getConfigurationSource();

Where ConfigurationSource exposes the different bootstrap parameters as strings, e.g. getMessageInterpolatorClassName()

For me the following questions arise:

* How do I interpret "typically the "META-INF/validation.xml file" - typically implies an alternative. Is there is one how do I
   differentiate between these alternatives? Shouldn't the docs read "Return information stored in META-INF/validation.xml"?

* What do I return if there is no validation.xml? null? Or the class names of the implementations default implementations?

* Last but not least, why ConfigurationSource? If I look at the class I see configuration parameters so why not call this
   (ValidationXml)ConfigurationParamters or (ValidationXml)BootstrapParameters. "Source" implies for me that I can get information about
   how the configuration was provided, e.g. XML vs programmatic.

Thoughts?

--Hardy