[bv-dev] Should getters be considered methods during validation

Gerhard Petracek gerhard.petracek at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 15:44:27 EST 2012

hi @ all,

@ "treat getter-methods as regular methods for method-validation":
there are cases which would benefit from it, but such a behaviour can also
break a lot!

-> if we support it:
imo we need a global config option as well as an api for de-/activating it.
in case of the api we would also need a possibility for de-/activating it
dynamically for one validation process. e.g. in a jsf application there is
only one phase (invoke application) of the request-lifecycle for which such
a feature could make sense (and for a lot of applications not even there).
in all other phases it just doesn't make sense and it would just be a
performance penalty which only leads to side-effects you can hardly control
(if a jsf implementation doesn't handle it explicitly).

that's imo also true for many other constellations which are independent of
jsf.

regards,
gerhard