[bv-dev] Configuring method validation

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Thu Jan 17 13:34:03 EST 2013

For you info, I have let the problem of inheritance settle in my mind.
I don't think @ValidateOnCall placed on a superclass should be considered
when processing a subclass. In other words, I don't think
@ValidateOnCall should be @Inherited.

My reasoning is that type level marking is really a shortcut to avoid
marking all getters in a class. It seems fine and clearer to have to
repeat it on subclasses.

Also Gunnar made a compelling argument not to inherit @ValidateOnCall
from interfaces one implements.

That solves most of my problems including future inclusion of package
level @ValidateOnCall if needed while keeping rules simples.

I understand that my "reasoning" is close to a judgment call though.
Does anyone has a strong reason to make @ValidateOnCall @Inherited?

Emmanuel