[bv-dev] Jigsaw module name

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Fri Apr 21 09:22:01 EDT 2017

Hi,

Java 9 is still in the works, so it's too early to put anything final
into the BV spec, but should we add a recommended module name for API
modules?

My thinking is to have a short appendix stating:

    "Implementors that wish to provide the Bean Validation API in form
of a Java 9 module,
     should use the module name "javax.validation". A mandatory module
name will be
     defined in a future revision of this specification".

A commonly agreed on module name is required by Jigsaw to ensure
different API modules (e.g. the reference one and the one provided by
Apache) are interchangeable.

I expect further changes to the spec to support Java 9 down the road
(e.g. to resolve message bundles in client modules and to provide a
way for passing in a Lookup granting private access (see [1]), but
it's nothing we can bake into the spec yet.

Thoughts?

--Gunnar

[1] http://in.relation.to/2017/04/11/accessing-private-state-of-java-9-modules/