[bv-dev] Spec question on ContainerElementTypeDescriptor

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Fri Jun 16 03:43:33 EDT 2017

Hi Matt,

Thanks for bringing this up!

I think adding ContainerElementTypeDescriptor#getContainerClass() is
one thing needed, but it's not enough. Currently we have
List<ContainerElementTypeDescriptor> getContainerElementTypes() on
PropertyDescriptor etc. which returns the container element
descriptors in the order of type arguments. This also doesn't really
fit for User#getRoles().

So we could make this a Set<ContainerElementTypeDescriptor> instead,
and then each element from that set exposes containerClass and
typeArgumentIndex as you suggest.

It's getting a bit tricky though to get the effective set of all
container element constraints. Eg. say we have:

    public interface IUserBase {
        Set<@NotBlank String> getRoles();
    }

    public interface IUser extends IUserBase {
        Set<@NotEmpty String> getRoles();
    }

    public class UserImpl implements IUser {
        Roles getRoles();
    }

Then when querying

    validator.getConstraintsForClass( IUser.class )
        .getConstraintsForProperty( "roles" )
        .getContainerElementTypes();

We'd get a set with these elements:

    - ContainerElementDescriptor(containerClass=IUser.class,
typeArgumentIndex=0, constraints={(type=NotEmpty,
defined=DEFINED_LOCALLY), (type=NotBlank,
defined=DEFINED_IN_HIERARCHY)}
    - ContainerElementDescriptor(containerClass=User.class,
typeArgumentIndex=0, constraints={(type=NotBlank, defined=
DEFINED_LOCALLY)}

The descriptor for IUser would have to return the inherited @NotBlank
as per the defined semantics of getConstraintDescriptors(). So one
would have to examine all ContainerElementDescriptors and just collect
the ones that are DEFINED_LOCALLY to have the effective set without
duplicates.

The alternative would be to explicitly redeclare
getConstraintDescriptors() for ContainerElementDescriptor and say that
it doesn't expose constraints from the hierarchy. But this would make
it very difficult for the user to find all those constraints applying
to a given container element type (esp. as type arguments could switch
their order in the hierarchy). So that'd not be my preferred route.

WDYT?

I've filed https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/BVAL-655 for this issue.