[bv-dev] TCK bootstrap - ExecutableType.NONE

Guillaume Smet guillaume.smet at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 05:17:17 EDT 2018

Hi Matt,

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 9:55 PM, Matt Benson <mbenson at apache.org> wrote:

> I would challenge
> BootstrapConfigurationWithValidatedExecutableTypesContainingNONETest
> as defying the specification. The current version says at
> http://beanvalidation.org/2.0/spec/#integration-general-executable and
> in the code for ExecutableType that NONE is essentially ignored in the
> presence of other types (and effectively, always). I see nothing to
> dictate that NONE should be treated differently in the XML descriptor
> than elsewhere.

Outch, this one is an old one :).

The spec is very clear about the behavior of @ValidateOnExecution:
"A list containing NONE and other types of executables is equivalent to a
list containing the types of executables without NONE."

Same in the @ExecutableType javadoc:
    /**
     * None of the executables.
     * <p>
     * Note that this option is equivalent to an empty list of executable
types
     * and is present to improve readability. If {@code NONE} and other
types of executables
     * are present in a list, {@code NONE} is ignored.
     */

I can't find anything specific to the XML configuration so I suppose we
should follow the same rule.

@Gunnar does old Gunnar have any recollection of what young Gunnar did back
at the time?

--