[cdi-dev] Summarize finding a BeanManager (for Java SE, integration with older Java EE and unit testing)

Peter Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Tue Apr 26 03:28:07 EDT 2011

Can you add your comments to the JIRA issue, that is the best way to track such design discussions.

On 26 Apr 2011, at 00:07, Rick Hightower wrote:

> We need a general purpose way of finding a BeanManager.
> +1 for me.
>
> This way should include JNDI lookup to a fallback BeanManagerLocator that uses a ServiceLoader
> +1 for me.
>
> I think the behavior should look like this:
>
> Lookup BeanManager in JNDI
> If not found, try to load BeanManagerLocator from system property.
> If not found, try to load BeanManagerLocator from ServiceLoader.
> If more than one BeanManagerLocator found, sort by priority or die if there is more than one. (not sure about the sort, I think it should die, but can be convinced otherwise).
> Once the BeanManagerLocator is found, use it to return a BeanManager
>
> In addition,
>
> I think we need a simplified interface for BeanManager.
>
> https://github.com/CDISource/cdisource/blob/master/beancontainer/api/src/main/java/org/cdisource/beancontainer/BeanContainer.java
>
> This could just be a utility class, but it should be included with CDI 1.1. I think the  BeanManager interface is too low level.

This will need a new JIRA issue. I would suggest emphasising the problem when you create the issue rather than your solution (i.e. the BM interface is too low level NOT that we need a utility class as the first promotes discussion and ideas, the second will force people to consider a certain approach).