[cdi-dev] Proxy implementation leaks

Jens Schumann jens.schumann at openknowledge.de
Tue May 24 17:15:18 EDT 2011

On 24.05.11 21:46 Pete Muir wrote:

> On 24 May 2011, at 20:42, Mark Struberg wrote:
>
>> Imo it is surprising, since it would break all kinds of 'business
>>injections' (as opposed to classic 'resource injections' - Jens Schumann
>>can explain this well ;)
>
> Can you make him explain it for our edification?

Haha Mark;)

Just a brief answer - since I crossed the critical wake period already...

What I call 'business injection' (the German term 'fachliche injection' is
more precise) shouldn't be any news to you guys. I keep telling my
audience that CDI helps me to go beyond classic infrastructure injection
towards a more domain / business oriented approach. Instead of injecting
data sources, services or DAO's I am able to inject the current user, a
selected item or a newly created customer - across application layers.
This - in combination with "business driven" event handling [1] - is what
love about CDI;)

On 24.05.11 21:24 Pete Muir wrote:

>> Thus if you would require all contextual instances being created
>>immediately, then you would get a ContextNotActiveException...
>
> Yes, but this isn't that surprising and the principle of least surprise
>is a good one to follow ;-)

As Mark said before: Think about the current authenticated user that
should be available to infrastructure code. Enforcing all contextual
instances being created immediately would kill that feature - as far I
understand.

Hope that helps,
Jens
[1] sendWelcomeEmail(@Observes @Created Customer newCustomer)