[cdi-dev] Java EE compatibility guidelines

Jozef Hartinger jharting at redhat.com
Wed Nov 2 09:29:47 EDT 2011

There are two fixes in CDI 1.1 EDR1 of which I am not sure if they
comply with the document.

* CDI-36
* CDI-115

In both cases it's a non-compatible change in the SPI. The compatibility
document does not make a distinction between an API (consumed by
applications) and SPI (consumed by extensions). As a result, it is
difficult to put portable extensions that use the SPI into one of
categories defined by the document.

The "wrapper implementations" category seems to fit a description of a
typical portable extension the most (which would justify the changes)
although CDI extensions do not necessarily just "wrap a vendor
implementation".

Another way to look at it is that an application is always allowed to
implement the involved part of the SPI. In this case the changes above
violate the document requirements.