[cdi-dev] Support Request (and Conversation?) Scope in @Singleton @Startup @PostConstruct methods

Guido Bonazza guidbona at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 08:36:48 EST 2012

Hello everyone!
Checking out the CDI 1.0 spec and actually trying it on JBoss AS 7.1.0.Final it seems to me that the Request Scope is not active in @Singleton @Startup @PostConstruct method, so I'd like to propose this use case to be supported in the next version of CDI.
Moreover, quoting https://issues.jboss.org/browse/CDI-148 ("There is no reason why the ConversationScope should be any less available than the RequestScope"), I think that conversation scope should be available too in this context. It would be very useful, for example, when you have an EntityManager produced in conversation scope (mostly used in JSF contexts), to be allowed to use it @Singleton @Startup @PostConstruct methods.
Of course there should be some limitations in this case (long running conversation promotion shouldn't be allowed for example), but the basic case should be supported in my opinion.

Thanks for the attention,
     Guido