[cdi-dev] Having an official CDI tutorial and user forum

Antoine Sabot-Durand antoine at sabot-durand.net
Mon Nov 18 09:00:30 EST 2013

Hi Radim,

Allow me to post my answer on the list so every body will benefit of your contribution.

> first of all I would like to let you know that I very appreciate your effort to promote my favourite technology :)

Thanks. I hope we’ll achieve to pursue this promotion effort. It’s always hard to mix highly conceptual technical activity like a spec and promotion / communication at the same time. My feeling is CDI is very overlooked and deserve a bigger community. Community that could help us making it better. Note that I’m not very objective on that topic ;).

> >> I think it would be useful to provide an official CDI 1.1 tutorial on cdi-spec site
> I agree with you a cdi tutorial with a plenty of quickstarts is desperately missing
> something like jboss way quickstarts would be a great addition to cdi-spec.org site

Yes JDF quick starts are nice (and also deal with Deltaspike) but need documentation to introduced them. [1]
Apache team have nice example for CDI as well on TomEE examples [2]

I also remember seeing interesting content on IBM developerworks. I can find them right now.

> >> I have the feeling such content is already nearly written by people in this ML
> recently I tried to find some details on how to properly use @ThreadScoped in java se environment and the only place where I found a working sample was this ML (http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/weld-dev/2009-December/002016.html)

You may know threadscope is not in the spec, Its specific to Weld, I don’t know if OWB has something like that. Anyway, writing a tutorial on building a thread scope for all imll, could be interesting. Great to show how to add a new scope and promote CDI for SE at the same time.

> >> so if you have written introduction tutorial to CDI and agree to be reused on official site it would be great and time saving for me
> I have already written some CDI samples for my colleagues including the one mentioned above
> I would be pleased to supply these samples…

Great. We surely could benefit from them

> Sincerely,
> Radim Hanus

Thanks again for your commitment

Antoine