[cdi-dev] Thoughts on Phases and Events for the Security spec

Antonio Goncalves antonio.goncalves at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 12:49:56 EST 2014

Hi all,

The CDI spec defines the "Transactional observer methods" (§10.4.5) with a
TransactionPhase :

public enum TransactionPhase {
  IN_PROGRESS,
  BEFORE_COMPLETION,
  AFTER_COMPLETION,
  AFTER_FAILURE,
  AFTER_SUCCESS
}

void onDocumentUpdate(@Observes(*during=AFTER_SUCCESS*) @Updated Document
doc) { ... }

Now that there is a new Security specification coming along, it would be
helpful to be able to *observe before/after the user logs-in or logs-out*,
for example. First I thought "well, the Security spec defines a set of
events, fires them, and we just have to observe them". But what about the
"during" phase ? What would make more sense in such use case ? Using the
same "during" mechanism or events ?

public enum LoginPhase {
  BEFORE_LOGIN,
  AFTER_LOGIN,
  BEFORE_LOGOUT,
  AFTER_LOGOUT,
}

void onLogout(@Observes(*during=BEFORE_LOGOUT*) User user) { ... }

Any thoughts ?

--
Antonio Goncalves
Software architect, Java Champion and Pluralsight author

Web site <http://www.antoniogoncalves.org> | Twitter
<http://twitter.com/agoncal> | LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/agoncal> |
Pluralsight
<http://pluralsight.com/training/Authors/Details/antonio-goncalves> | Paris