[cdi-dev] Thoughts on Phases and Events for the Security spec

Mark Struberg struberg at yahoo.de
Tue Dec 23 04:03:26 EST 2014

Switching languages is a business concern in some companies.

And the example with the role switching was just ONE example. There are dozen others. Now you could go on and add all those things into a next spec adding another 450++ classes. But no one gonna use that!

JASPIC and EE security is pretty much a disaster area right now because it did NOT step back a few meters and tried to just introduce APIs which are generic (or specific) enough to be very flexible.

I can do 100% of what you can do with JavaEE security in a simple Servlet Filter, a CDI producer and an interceptor within 300 lines. And all this is really extensible and works perfectly for all my customers weirdest use cases (like integration into HOST security, etc).

I think JASPIC & Co has to be ditched and a totally new approach needs to be made.

I know this might be an extreme position and we might finally meet in the middle. But this is what I've seen in MANY companies. EE security is

a.) to hard to understand and thus

b.) not well understood

c.) too complex
d.) without giving you all the bits you need in practice

thus it's really way easier to simply hack a ServletFilter and an own Principal system to guard your secured resources. You then also have the ability to use the same mechanism in e.g. batches, standalone SE programs etc.

And the best thing: it is really portable, which most of the EE security stuff is NOT. There you always need to tweak container specific config, add LoginModule totally different each time, etc

LieGrue,
strub