[cdi-dev] Thoughts on Phases and Events for the Security spec

arjan tijms arjan.tijms at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 10:23:58 EST 2014

Hi,

>Arjan, I really like what Undertow does

Yeah, the API and class design Undertow uses is rather neat indeed. It's
much closer to JASPIC + LoginModules than to Servlet Filters + CDI
producers, but it definitely has a more modern touch.

(*Something to think about is that Undertow when faced with the need for a
security system *again* choose to build its own one. It's a very nice one,
nothing against that, but it's yet another option.*)

> and that was exactly my question : should it through specific events or
phases. In this example Undertow chooses events.

Indeed, Undertow chooses events but using its own API. No CDI is involved
at that level. Although Undertow is build in such a way that CDI can be
(and is) initialized before auth modules are invoked. Because of that it's
so trivial in Undertow to bridge their native events to CDI ones.

I'd personally say that Undertow has made the right decision to use events
instead of phases or something else, but I'm also aware that I'm not fully
up to date with all pros and cons of both approaches.

>My concern is about spreading CDI to other specifications. Security being
a brand new one, I wonder if this new spec had something like that in mind.
Other specs might use events handling and, therefore, use the CDI event
mechanism for it. If they do want to use events, the question is "should
they define there own events or phases ?".

I hear you.

The thing is that the Security API cannot really throw the event directly
itself, but has to ask the containers that actually log a user in to do so
(e.g. the Servlet, EJB and JCA containers). This is something that is
perhaps not entirely clear to everyone, but something like JASPIC too is
not a separate implementation. There is no JASPIC RI jar that you download
and add to your project. Instead, there's a Servlet Container Profile,
which compatible Servlet containers (e.g. Undertow) then implement.

So if the login/logout events are to be published via CDI, then effectively
Servlet containers have to use CDI.

While I don't want to rule this out, especially if there's wording in the
spec like: "If CDI is available in the environment, the event should be
published via CDI's eventing mechanism", it's a slightly more complicated
task politically speaking than just the Security API deciding to use CDI.

Another option is that Servlet uses their native event mechanism
(@WebListener + a new interface, say ServletAuthListener) and that the
Security API installs a default listener that bridges this event to CDI.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms