[cdi-dev] About JSR 330.Next and CDI 2.0

Werner Keil werner.keil at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 17:17:11 EDT 2014

Most of this remains to be discussed by a dedicated IP WG of JSR 358. Which
I ocasionally join and if you (or others here) have particular interest,
transparency means pretty much everything, especially minutes, etc. is
available also to those outside the WG or EC.

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 10:47 PM, Mark Struberg <struberg at yahoo.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>

> > The "Spec" and its Software Manifestation (normally all artifacts
>
> > under "javax.something" or "java.something" (for the few JSRs
>
> > like 310 that changed their package name in the course of
>
> > the lifecycle) in Oracle's (the PMO) understanding is under
>
> > the Spec License.
>

> Werner, this might be Oracles understanding, but to me and many legally
> trained colleagues it still seems factually wrong from a purely legal
> aspect.
>
> If I write something under ALv2 and contribute it to the JCP under ALv2,
> then no one (but me) has the right to change this license without asking
> me. Not even Oracle. Also the JSPA only talks about sublicensing (which
> does NOT include re-licensing under a different license!) and even
> explicitly says 'same license'. It does _not_ say _which_ license, it only
> defines (in §5E) "terms and conditions that are non-discriminatory, fair
> and reasonable".
>

> It surely does not allow Sun/Oracle to re-license the original ALv2 work
> of JSR-330 (and other specs) with any other license. And it also doesn't
> matter what Oracle defines as 'Spec'. The important legal definition is the
> term 'work' which is used throughout almost all OSS licenses. And if Oracle
> provides a download with a zip which only contains ALv2 licensed 'work',
> then it also must prompt this license on their download page - and not any
> other license which no single piece of the downloaded archive is licensed
> under. You can check Androids 'system config -> licenses' page to see how
> this is done ;)

JSR 330 Spec was never ALv2 licensed, see
The RI and TCK will be licensed under the Apache 2 license, and the
Specification will be licensed under an agreement that satisfies the
requirements of the JSPA.

under https://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=330

The "agreement that satisfies the requirements of the JSPA" is the Spec
License.

> If you find such a paragraph which would allow such a re-licensing then
> please tell me.

There isn't any, again, Oracle has never said there would be any other
license than the Spec License for these materials, even if you download
"jsr XXX.jar" from a different place other than jcp.org.

> Oracle would have had to refuse that spec and force the EG to pick another
> one. But now this is too late. This ship has pretty much sailed. Changing
> or 'reinterpreting' this work as under some different license is simply
> breaking a law.
>

> >Just see Java EE 7: http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/7/api/
>
> > the JavaDoc (for all JSRs within that umbrella)
>
> > is therefore covered by the EE 7 Spec License
> >>Copyright © 1996-2013, Oracle and/or its affiliates.
>
> > All Rights Reserved. Use is subject to license terms.
>
> Which is again factually wrong imo!
>
> I can also copy random files from the internet and claim that I own all
> the copyrights.
> It gets a bit more complex when we go into the legal details. On the one
> hand JavaDoc is always more complicated as the 'work' of bringing it into a
> nice representation might constitute own Copyright. And this is also fine
> as ALv2 allows to add your own 'work' in any license you like. But (often
> misinterpreted even by lawyers) ALv2 does NOT allow re-licensing: the
> original work (the parts which were ALv2) are STILL ALv2. This is btw
> almost always the case - this is what eventual Contributor License
> Agreements are for...
>
> It might also be that the 'collection of work' creates an own originary
> copyright. Like a prose book might constitute own IP _in addition_ to the
> original IP. But this 'collection IP' doesn't change the 'meat' content of
> javax.inject for example as explained above.
>

> >CDI refrains from this breach. At least there is no contradicting JavaDoc
> license pointer.
>

> Again wrong:
> https://github.com/cdi-spec/cdi/blob/master/api/src/main/java/javax/enterprise/inject/spi/BeanManager.java
> Clearly ALv2...
> And Oracle also cannot force JBoss to amend or change this license easily.
> JBoss would have to go to EVERY contributor and ask for permission!

The license headers in Java files are irrelevant in reality, and nobody
(especially not the EC or PMO) cares about them. They are interested in a
single license text provided with the JCP page, and again, for CDI you'll
find the same as for JSR 330 or others..

Even in the IP savvy circles, people tend to mix up what's "Spec/API" and
what's "RI/TCK". IMHO the likes of JSR 107 got this pretty right, also 354
and a few others.
Look into each class if you want and you'll find a pointer to the Spec
License or a short version.

The API is often ignored or misunderstood, but the JSPA is pretty clear
about it, though it was phrased with strong emphasis on the JVM itself:

1.10 Java Specification (Specification or Spec): a written specification
for some aspect of the Java technology.
This includes the language, virtual machine, Platform Editions, Profiles,
and* application programming*
*interfaces.*
https://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/JSPA2.pdf

I assume almost every one of you here signed it, or had your HR/legal
department do;-)

"application programming interfaces" - API meaning, the JSPA considers them
to be part of the Spec under the subsequent license, but the sentence is so
vague, that I'm sure, you'll find 3 different oppinions or interpretations
if you just ask enough lawyers;-)

> Btw, I've talked with a few lawyers who reviewed ULA and they did all not
> sound happy about it...
>

> I also got a bunch of weird answers from Oracle lawyers, e.g. that we must
> not do a RI which is ALv2, EPL, OSGI, etc because 'they are not compatible
> with the licenses we use in Glassfish'.
> Totally sick argument. If that would be true than Oracle would need to
> remove 50 jars from Glassfish4, including
> * Weld
> * Eclipselink
> * all OSGi
> * Tomcat (yes, core-web.jar is nothing but a repackaged tomcat)
>
> * JNDI (org.apache.naming)
> to just name a few.
>

> Would this make sense? Do we really like to go down this route?
>

> To make it clear: Glassfish is dual licensed as CDDL and GPL+CPE. And
> exactly the ClassPathException is the case why EPL and ALv2 jars inside
> Glassfish are totally fine and this legal info we got from Oracle legal is
> imo nuts.

Look into OpenJDK and especially the whole of the (additional) java.time
APIs contain BSD licensed material, despite the fact, that JDK as such is
licensed under different agreements. I asked the people in the EC and IP WG
discussing these things, and only Azul (not a lawyer but also caring a lot
about IP) said their understanding was, it should be OK for "Non EG
Members" to contribute this under BSD, but EG Members should have
contributed all of that either under the Spec License or the one by
OpenJDK. None of the classes in question seem to ever have been touched by
anybody other than the Spec Leads as there was no other contribution when
310 was still in places like GitHub or SF.net.

> I know there is tons of legal b******t going round these days. But
> repeating it over and over again doesn't make it more true...
>
> If you think I have an error in my argumentation then please feel free to
> correct me and help me understand the problem.

I think I'd have to leave that to people in the IP circles or legal team of
either Oracle, IBM, Red Hat or others, as soon as they find a common
understanding about it;-D

Cheers,
Werner