[cdi-dev] About JSR 330.Next and CDI 2.0

Werner Keil werner.keil at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 04:53:41 EDT 2014

In most cases if the Spec Lead is a large company they need to consult
their legal team.
Regarding the source code vs. attached "shrinkwrap" license, it gets a lot
more complex, especially for Umbrella JSRs like Java EE. There the majority
of users won't bother looking at hundreds or thousands of source files
including JSR 330, CDI or other components including EJB, JSF, etc. or JMS (
https://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=343) There you'll see, even the RI/TCK
license is not Apache or GPL/CPE, but a commercial Oracle License that's
far more restrictive.

Martijn is not in this thread any more, and there is no need to add him,
but as he mentioned doing a WebSocket project for SE, it would be
interesting to hear, if he uses JSR 356 (
https://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=356) That and a few others have 3-4(!)
different licenses for RI/TCK alone, depending on usage or the commercial
product it's used in.

So from that point of view despite all critical voices (they'll be able to
discuss this or try improve points they may find unacceptable) aiming for a
single, unified license for ALL RI and TCK seems a good intention and won't
put users at risk of surprises if they use an API like WebSockets or JBatch
(or even CDI) standalone as opposed to a large platform or umbrella JSR.

Werner