[cdi-dev] Binary compatibility and removing classes

John D. Ament john.d.ament at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 21:31:53 EDT 2014

Hi all

Was reading through the log from this past meeting.  To comment on a couple
of points:

- In JMS 2.0 we really wanted to remove the old Queue and Topic based
interfaces.  We received a lot of push back from even deprecating them, and
the most that could be done was to add a comment to the javadoc dissuading
people from using them and only keeping them around for legacy purposes.
 Similar to how @New is stuck around, probably forever, any existing
classes need to stick around forever.  When it comes to pruning, the
pruning is around a technology and not just a small set of classes within a
JSR.

- In JDK8, they fixed the binary compatibility issue w/ default methods.
 Since CDI 2.0 should be targeting a Java 8 runtime, can we leverage that
for binary compatibility, by saying any new methods we add to interfaces
will be default methods some ambiguous/not very useful implementation?

John