[cdi-dev] async activation on observers, why not CompletableFuture

arjan tijms arjan.tijms at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 16:36:56 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 10:25 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibucau at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hmm I dont think so. If I write
>> return new AsyncResult("Done in thread " +
>> Thread.currentThread().getName()) ; // returns a Future<String>
>>
>> Then my code is not async at all, the get() call will just return my
>> parameter, and no other thread will be used in that process.
>>

> if the method has @Asynchronous it is, that is how the spec is defined.
> All other usages are not linked to asynchronism at all and es.submit(task)
> is not supposed to work before EJB 3.2.

Indeed. If you have:

@Asynchronous
public Future<String> doAsync() {
    return new AsyncResult("Done in thread " +
Thread.currentThread().getName()) ;
}

And then from another location do:

String callerName = Thread.currentThread().getName();
String calleeName = bean.doAsync().get();

Then callerName is unequal to calleeName.

I've written an article a while back that uses AsyncResult as well in CDI
code that tries to emulate how EJB works. I hope it somewhat more clearly
demonstrates that AsyncResult is fully intended as a wrapper. See
http://jdevelopment.nl/cdi-based-asynchronous-alternative

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms