[cdi-dev] Time to start working on CDI lite

Mark Struberg struberg at yahoo.de
Mon Aug 31 02:08:12 EDT 2015

I don’t grok many of the points to be honest. Please let me question a few practical points:

1.) big size: nope, thats implementation specific. OWB core has 500k + apis + asm -> way below 1MB jar size altogether. And this even includes OSGi stuff. And I think there is a weld-se package as well, right?

2.) slow boot: nope, both OWB and Weld in the meantime provide SPIs to switch out to custom scanning. Now the default scanning plugins could be replaced with a manually pre-configured class list (build time generated) etc. Thus I see no real need to change the spec. Of course, the bootstrap events could be improved. But that’s a matter of CDI event performance. Just do a few benchmarks and you will see that there is lots of room for improvement (10 mio CDI events OWB 6s, weld 19s). Do we really have anything near 10 mio classes in an embedded scenario? :)

What is left is that we _might_ drop the ‚contextual instance‘ paradigma alltogether to spare bytecode tinkering and class proxies. But this basically is dropping the ‚C‘ from CDI just for saving 150kByte. Imo that’s not worth it. Especially as it would mean that the (C)DI-SE has a totally different programming paradigma as CDI-EE.

Don’t get me wrong! I think it is really important to grow new ideas and let them flourish for a while. But at some point we also need to check them against the real world.

LieGrue,
strub