[cdi-dev] On @Observes for async events

Jozef Hartinger jharting at redhat.com
Wed Mar 18 08:55:59 EDT 2015

On 03/18/2015 01:46 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:

> <mailto:jharting at redhat.com>>:
>

>     On 03/18/2015 01:28 PM, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:

>>     <mailto:jharting at redhat.com>>:
>>

>>         On 03/18/2015 11:16 AM, Romain Manni-Bucau wrote:
>>
>>             sequentializing them arbitrarily just makes it not async
>>             anymore
>>
>>         the event firing thread won't wait for event delivery so it
>>         is still async
>>

>>     well doesn't change the fact you break original async need/wish
>>     doing it.
>     break what?
>
> don't wait behavior, own thread model by call which is what async
> means most of the time
Well, the thread firing an event won't wait for the observers to
complete so I cannot see how it breaks your "original async need/wish".
Or do you associate "async" with splitting the work into as many
parallel threads as possible? If so then we have a mismatch in terminology.

>>             (+ think to the case you dont really have priorities you
>>             are just breaking the whole concept).
>>
>>         If you do not have priorities (or they are the same) then it
>>         is most likely fine to notify the observers in parallel. If
>>         you however do have priorities then it makes sense IMO to
>>         take them into account. Doing otherwise just complicates the
>>         entire concept by adding an artificial constraint.
>>

>>     point is you are introducing a model concept which is not aligned
>>     on the common model + doesn't even match correctly the async
>>     needs (what about onFailure() and onTimeout() which are mandatory
>>     when doing async)
>     what common model?
>>
> callbacks one which is the only one making async usable and prod
> compatible
Which part is not aligned? In the current proposal you get a callback
when all observers complete or an exception occurs. In what order the
observers are called does not change anything about that.