[cdi-dev] Previously on "Double end async events activation"

Antoine Sabot-Durand antoine at sabot-durand.net
Thu Mar 26 05:17:24 EDT 2015

Hi Romain,

Thanks for your feedback

> [...]
> Discussion is going back to solution avoiding this double activation stuff for async event. To avoid explaining again why we should care and the solution we already explore here is a small wrap up of previous episodes :
>
> 1) Why is it important to take time on this?
> Some of you may find we already spend too many time on this question, but remember. Async events are the 1st requested stuff from the community. It has been asked for a long time (Jira ticket is CDI-4). We didn’t provided a solution for CDI 1.1 so now people are waiting this feature and they probably hope it’ll be nicely designed.
> To make short : if we don’t deliver users will be very disappointed, if we propose a lousy solution people will be very critic. I know that it’s better to not deliver than delivering something we are not happy with, but we really should be careful here
>

> 2) Why this double activation is needed?
> For the producer (fire()) side it’s rather obvious : we cannot magically change all synchronous event call to async. We need an handle on the work in progress (so a new method signature with CompletionStage), the payload mutation mechanism would break as all transactional events. So there’s no debate on fireAsync()
>
> On the Observer side, the reason is for backward compatibility. CDI events are a great way to cross boundary of our own code and activate unknown code at runtime in another piece of the app (another jar) that we don’t own. This other code can be a framework, a code developed by an other team in a big project or a legacy jar that we don’t want to touch.
>
> Imagine the following use cases (all code running on CDI 2)
>
> a) I’m compiling in CDI 1.x and one of the Jar (framework for instance) already migrated to CDI 2.0 firing async event where it use to fire sync events. Without activation on the observer side, I have all the chance to see my observer break. And if I decide to upgrade to CDI 2.0 I must have a way to activate / deactivate async call on given observers
>
> b) I’m compiling in CDI 2.0 but use jar1 in CDI 1.0 and jar2 in CDI 2.0 coming from other teams. jar2 and jar1 are old related piece of code communicating the event. The guys in jar2 had time to migrate to CDI 2.0 and switch most fire() to fireAsync(). Observer in jar1 will be called asynchronously if the default is to have async activated for all observer.
>
> I agree that these example looks like corner case but the side effect will be that no framework developper will switch to fireAsync() to prevent these issues and we’ll have an adoption problem.
> More than that as we are designing a Java EE specification we are committed to backward compatibility and cannot change behavior of old code, like it would do
>

> I'm not sure. A framework will not use fireAsync() for its existing base (CDI 1.x) but for new usages I think it will if relevant cause there is yet no observer out there.

Perhaps but we cannot speculate on that. Given the very open observer resolution rules we have (an observer on Object with default qualifier will be called for all events), user can break things without knowing it

> 3) Implementing this observer activation
>
> I’m listing here all the solution to deal with this requirement. For some of them I’ll add the reason we won’t adopt it or my feeling about it
>

> a) Adding or using an @Async annotation :
>
> @Async
> public void myObserver(@Observes Object payload) {}
>
> Personally I don’t want to add @Async to or @Asynchronous to CDI, it feels too much like an EJB-ification of the spec. If we go that way we should work to add this to Commons Annotation (simpler for CDI SE) or concurrent utilities (more consistent but not CDI SE friendly since we’ll have to get this dependency in SE). As we’ll already have to wrk on Commons Annotation for @Priority (allowing it on parameter for event ordering), it could make sens to focus our effort here.
> This @Async annotation could be used for async operation if we decide to add this support to CDI.
>
> The downside of this annotation is the confusion it can bring to people thinking that it will be sufficient to have an Async observer. The second objection is the confusion if we decide to not add async support operation in CDI (since it’s nearly out of the bow in Java 8). Some people won’t understand why @Async is used only on event
>

> +1, also means async observers are useless with java 8 isn't it?

Nope. Observer are not standard java invocation: you call one fire() and will trigger an unknown number of observer. If you want to have feedback on async observer (are they all complete) you need to add these async mechanism in the event bus. Having a bunch of standard observe launching async operation thru CompletableFuture API  without any mean of sending feedback will be a total mess IMO.

Yes, I add the same example in mind, but I never experimented old EE 6 code running on EE 7 with @Resource usage. I’m going to do some test to know if this option is realistic.

I agree, could be more confusing than good. For me it’s like a). having @Async on a method (or here @ObserveAsync in an observer) let user think that it will async without anything else needed.

> 4) What about changing default behavior for the local jar?
>
> Idea launched by some of us. We could extend the chosen scenario by activating AsyncSupport by default on all observer on the current jar (BDA). Since the main backward compatibility issue is linked to have different CDI jar from different owners and version we could give local control to the user for his own code and jars.
> That could be done in beans.xml like we did for bean-discovery with an async-event attributes for instance or in code by a config annotation or event in extension (but we probably should expose the BDA concept in SPI if we go that way…)
>
> 5)Conclusion:
> Now you have the whole picture. If I missed things, tell me. If you like an idea please tell it, if you have a new idea or a different POV, feel free to speak.
>

> Any test using j8 to get async features without anything in CDI framework have been done? Think it is smooth enough finally and avoid to mess up CDI, allows to wait for a real async solution if needed at spec level (concurreny utilities maybe) and doesn't prevent users to use asynchronism in a proper way (compared to what we can do at framework level, ie have composition for instance).

No need for test for standard async operation, it will work on SE and in EE we’ll just have to use concurrency utilities to get a managed executor. Regarding these operation the question will be do we introduce syntaxic sugar to add support in CDI (an annotation to replace 2 or 3 lines of code), right now I’d be tempted to answer “no” but I may missed specific use case like async interceptors.

Again, the question here is for Async in event: as we don’t have hand on observers invocation we have to enhance the event engine to support this async behavior in order to get feedback of these async operations.