[cdi-dev] Managing Dependent Scoped Beans

Martin Kouba mkouba at redhat.com
Mon May 16 08:06:33 EDT 2016

Dne 16.5.2016 v 13:34 John D. Ament napsal(a):

> [...]
>     we have
>      >     many differing opinions about how to manage them.
>      >      >
>      >      > - Martin raised a PR to add a release() method to Instance to
>      >     help destroy a dependent bean
>     https://github.com/cdi-spec/cdi/pull/286
>      >      > - I raised a PR https://github.com/cdi-spec/cdi/pull/289 to
>      >     update the spec to clarify how to manage a dependent scoped bean.
>      >      >
>      >      > Right now, it seems that the big disagreement is whether
>      >     Instance.destroy() can destroy objects not created by it (the
>     case
>      >     being around the CDI utility class, being an impl of
>     Instance).  I'm
>      >     currently heavily against Martin's proposed changes, but want
>     to get
>      >     input from others on the group to understand their perspective.
>      >      >
>      >      > - Does the spec require destroy() to be called only on
>     instances
>      >     that it created?  When I read 5.6.1 the only requirement I see is
>      >     that it has to be a dependent scoped bean.  Note when I ask
>     this I'm
>      >     asking from the spec perspective, its a different problem if
>     there's
>      >     some issues with implementations following suite (I would imagine
>      >     there needs to be some shared global registry of dependent scoped
>      >     beans for this to work).
>      >      >
>      >
>      >     Sound the only clean impl. Any other is not symmetric and
>      >     potentially lead to "oops this time it didnt work". I also not
>      >     seeing any use case limitation with that so think it is the same
>      >     solution
>      >
>      >
>      > I'm not sure I follow or if this isn't an answer to "Does the spec
>      > require destroy() to be called only on instances that it created?" ?
>      >
>      > Anyways I did look a bit closer and it seems that Martin's
>     statement is
>      > consistent with how OWB works,
>      >
>     https://github.com/apache/openwebbeans/blob/trunk/webbeans-impl/src/main/java/org/apache/webbeans/inject/instance/InstanceImpl.java#L293
>     so
>      > I wonder if there's a part of the spec I'm missing, or if there
>     was some
>      > offline agreement on how to understand it.
>
>     John, I believe Instance CANNOT be used to destroy a dependent bean
>     instance it didn't created, because a dependent bean instance doesn't
>     know the dependent objects it depends on - that's what CreationalContext
>     is for.
>

> This is the area I'm looking for clarification around.  Where in the

I think it's implied. When you look at "6.1.1. The CreationalContext
interface", there is:

"Contextual.create() should use the given CreationalContext when
obtaining contextual references to inject, as defined in Contextual
reference for a bean, in order to ensure that any dependent objects are
associated with the contextual instance that is being created."

and also:

"Contextual.destroy() should call release() to allow the container to
destroy dependent objects of the contextual instance."

and "6.2. The Context interface":

"The context object must pass the same instance of CreationalContext to
Contextual.destroy() that it passed to Contextual.create() when it
created the instance."

And for dependent beans there is no real context which could hold a
reference to a CreationalContext. Each Instance<T> has its own
CreationalContext which only tracks the dependent instances produced by
a given Instance. Instance<T> does not know anything about
CreationalContexts of other dependent instances...

--
Martin Kouba
Software Engineer