[forge-dev] Major change to forge Java EE plugins packaging

Lincoln Baxter, III lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 09:14:34 EDT 2011

I'm thinking that it will get very complicated quickly if each Facet
supports many versions of each EE spec, which is why I was leaning toward
having, essentially, a (JSF2Facet, Servlet3Facet,... etc). The plugins are
what will support multiple versions.

I think it would be misleading if we have a FacesFacet that works for JSF2
but not for JSF1.2 - certain features will only be available in a JSF2
environment, whereas others will work on both.

This is why I think the best place to address those differences is in the
plugin itself, where choices can be made based on JSF version. Faces2Facet
may extend or implement the same interface as Faces12Facet.

Or do you think we should go with the approach of having one ubiquitous
facet for each EE technology, which under the covers simply **does nothing**
if an attempt to use a non-supported feature is made. This could still be
handled in the plugin by SpecFacet.getVersion(), but I tend to like explicit
separation of concerns. I see this getting messy.

What are your thoughts?
~Lincoln

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 6:16 AM, Max Rydahl Andersen <
max.andersen at redhat.com> wrote:

> > hence why I am considering moving the plugins into a separate project
> that may depend on many different EE facet versions, yes. So the facets will
> be defined by EE version, but the plugins themselves will take all available
> facets into account.
>
> okey - then i'm just still not following why the version is in the package
> name when the plugin and I assume the facet it self supports multiple
> versions ?
>
> i.e. I would assume that the version number is a *property* of the facet,
> not the actual id of the facet it self.
>
> /max
>

> > ~Lincoln
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 11:38 AM, Max Rydahl Andersen <
> max.andersen at redhat.com> wrote:
> > shouldn't that be org.jboss.seam.forge.spec.javaee ?
> >
> > i.e. when javaee7 I would assume not all plugins is to be duplicated ?
> >
> > /max
> >
> > On Apr 12, 2011, at 17:15, Lincoln Baxter, III wrote:
> >
> > > FYI. To make the package naming more appropriate going forward, I've
> updated the base package for the Java EE 6 plugins from:
> > >
> > > org.jboss.seam.forge.spec  --to->  org.jboss.seam.forge.spec.javaee6
> > > This takes into account that there will be other versions of Java EE
> than just EE 6 going forward. I am also considering moving the plugins
> themsleves out of this project, and making this a "Facet only" API.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Lincoln Baxter, III
> > > http://ocpsoft.com
> > > http://scrumshark.com