[forge-dev] Generating packages in new Java projects

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Sun Dec 4 09:06:24 EST 2011

> What would be more fun is that forge would actually remember the last package name used for a command so
> it would offer it as default (Lincoln - did you get that properties/config stuff in place ? :)
>
> There is a mechanism for this. I'm using it in the Arquillian Extensions plugin.
>
> JavaSourceFacet#getBasePackage()

Yes, but that is rarely the actual package you put stuff in for all plugins.

I wonder where it gets that base from at this point ? derived from the maven group id?

> That's the one that was entered at the prompt...at least it appears that way.
>
> I don't think that creating the directories is necessarily wrong. If they open the project in the IDE immediately after creating it, then the first time they create a class it's necessary to retype the package name. It's far easier to right click on an existing package structure and create a new class.

Yes, but when you then do svn/git synchronize they show up.

> Perhaps the user can be prompted for this option (or it can be an optional option).
>
> new-project --named myproject --topLevelPackage org.example.myproject --createPackages

No need to introduce a new option IMO, but sure could be an option.

Better would still have Forge handle defaults as a possible thing to complete on even the package don't actually exist yet.

/max