[forge-dev] Configuration API

Paul Bakker paul.bakker.nl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 19:06:58 EST 2011

Hey Lincoln,

I had a look at the Configuration API… Your branch wasn't compiling, and after fixing that I got into an endless loop in a getDelegate call, so I think you forgot to check in something. Anyway; you said to have problems saving the configuration. I added a simple test as an example of how to do that. It creates the file and loads from it correctly.
https://github.com/paulbakker/core/commit/8dca18c10bd52e49d671b6e8d1c01c0b9a69c917

Besides that a few remarks:
1) Not sure if XML is the best format, why not just use property files? They are more readable…
2) Why use an adapter? It avoids coupling with the Configuration API, but I'm not sure that's necessary. I'm not against it either though.
3) We need stereotypes to say @Inject @GlobalConfig Configuration and @Inject @ProjectConfig
4) Still not sure what to do with passwords. Encrypting would be nice, but that needs to be a two way encrypt with a private key. Where to store the private key… I don't know. Maybe we can simply store plain passwords for now and warn the user about this. How do they solve this in JBoss Tools for example?

Paul