[forge-dev] Open challenge: UTF-8 not supported by the Java Runtime? Says who?

Thomas Frühbeck fruehbeck at aon.at
Thu Apr 12 18:49:53 EDT 2012

Hey,

I think I found the reason for this message and have a somewhat silly
remedy.

Reason:

     - in com.sun.org.apache.xml.internal.serializer.Encondings a
properties file is looked up by classloader to evaluate supported Charsets
     - the classloader selected is not the root classloader but Forge's
one, who doesnt find the properties file
     - funny enough the comments indicate, that the authors were not to
sure about the necessity of an error message in this case :-)

             if (is == null) {
                 SecuritySupport ss = SecuritySupport.getInstance();
                 is =
ss.getResourceAsStream(ObjectFactory.findClassLoader(),
                                             ENCODINGS_FILE);
             }

             Properties props = new Properties();
             if (is != null) {
                 props.load(is);
                 is.close();
             } else {
                 // Seems to be no real need to force failure here, let the
                 // system do its best... The issue is not really very
critical,
                 // and the output will be in any case _correct_ though
maybe not
                 // always human-friendly... :)
                 // But maybe report/log the resource problem?
                 // Any standard ways to report/log errors (in static
context)?
             }

REMEDY:
     - I made a module containing a jar with only this property file
     - and made forge-api take it as dependency:

<module name="javax.api" />
+ <module name="sun.encodings" export="true"/>
</dependencies>

Tar with module attached.

And voila: no error message anymore because the classloader can access
this dreaded file.
I'm sure, that someone more knowledgeable is able to find a better
solution, but as first fix it may help.

What do you think?

Regards,
Thomas