[forge-dev] On the topic of the impedance mismatch between Forge and IDE's

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Thu Dec 20 06:56:30 EST 2012

On 20 Dec 2012, at 11:47, Max Rydahl Andersen <max.andersen at redhat.com> wrote:

> The primary usecase for Forge from my POV is being able to reuse scaffolding and code generation as a replacement of Seam Gen functionality we have in Eclipse and
> right now Forge is not there yet and I fear it won't be there within the next 1-2 months where we actually need to make progress on scaffolding and generation for things like
> HTML5 and more. I'm wondering if we need to readjust our approach to how we use forge and its addons - maybe the "old" approach of sharing code/templates is a better one
> instead of requiring a full running Forge to make it work ?

One approach I had in mind here is if like Forge (at least in theory?) could be made to support Gradle and the plugins would still work - could we get Forge to grok Eclipse Projects natively
and just rely on already loaded and ready project information inside Eclipse ?

Things like dependency management would have to be delegated to the real maven or gradle or whatever in play here but I think in majority of cases for code generation this step is
just a one-off thus not necessary to do.

WDYT ?

/max