[forge-dev] new features for hibernate-tools-plugin

Lincoln Baxter, III lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 15:16:52 EST 2012

Hey Alejandro!

Awesome! Glad to have you :)

The plugin issues are actually tracked in their own individual lists on
GitHub: https://github.com/forge/plugin-hibernate-tools

As far as where to begin, I think I have just the perfect thing for you!
One of the problems with the Hibernate Tools plugin today is that in order
to generate from a database, you must type the configuration options every
single time you run the plugin. I think it would be great if we could tie
this plugin into the Forge configuration system/API.

// org.jboss.forge.env.Configuration;
@Inject Configuration config;

The configuration API can save and load data at the project/user level
specifically when requested - see: getScopedConfiguration(), but by default
it will access the project level configuration first, then fall back to the
user configuration if that cannot be found or does not have an entry. In
this case, using the default behavior should be the right behavior.

We may need to add a few features to the core library itself in order to do
things like access the configuration from default @Option values, but we
can talk about that later.

In that regard, maybe you could try using the plugin a few times, then use
that to try to streamline the interactions so that they requires less
repetitive work? Is that a good place to start?

What do you think?
~Lincoln

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Alejandro Montenegro <aamonten at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi team!
>
> I plan to start to contribute new features on hibernate-tools-plugin but
> was looking at jira and couldnt find any issue related. Do you have any
> features on mind that you would like to attack first?
>
> regards!
> --
> Alejandro Montenegro del Pino.
> Santiago  - Chile