[forge-dev] Data access logic used by scaffold code

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 01:11:51 EST 2012

Richard and Jason,

Both of you are working on (polished) code to provide CRUD functionality in
Java EE 6 / CDI, code that was laid down for Seam 2 applications by
seam-gen. Namely, you are replacing the Home and Query components, Richard
for the Forge scaffolding and Jason for migrating a seam-gen app to Java EE
6.

Ideally, you'll both reach the same endpoint. By that, I mean that the CRUD
architecture in a new Forge application should match the code that we
recommend for developers migrating from Seam 2 (specifically seam-gen
apps). Otherwise, developers are going to be stuck trying to decide which
direction to go...and that's no good obviously.

Richard, I noticed that you are taking the no framework route by using the
EntityManager directly and weaving both CRUD, conversation and pagination
in a single component. Are you fixed on doing it that way, or would you
consider using something like the CDI Query extension developed by Thomas
and Bartosz from CTP [1]?

I'm not trying to push you guys in either direction, other than I hope that
we can settle on a single approach to become the recommended way of doing
CRUD. The Seam community has been asking for a CRUD and Query module for a
looooooong time, and we are now at the point where we actually need it
ourselves.

I'm interested to hear your feedback, and anyone else that has opinions or
ideas for that matter.

-Dan

[1] http://ctpconsulting.github.com/query/1.0.0.Alpha2/index.html

--