[forge-dev] Data access logic used by scaffold code

Lincoln Baxter, III lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 01:23:58 EST 2012

Hey Dan,

We can definitely look in to a scaffold-provider that uses an extension for
query logic! We need to work on the extension points for the scaffold
anyway, so that would be a good thing to do while we work on that. It's
important to make sure we keep up a pure EE implementation at the same time
as well, but Metawidget has proven excellent for many kinds of Generation,
so I think that we should definitely consider that as a very good option
for working on another provider :)

~Lincoln

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Dan Allen <dan.j.allen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Richard and Jason,
>
> Both of you are working on (polished) code to provide CRUD functionality
> in Java EE 6 / CDI, code that was laid down for Seam 2 applications by
> seam-gen. Namely, you are replacing the Home and Query components, Richard
> for the Forge scaffolding and Jason for migrating a seam-gen app to Java EE
> 6.
>
> Ideally, you'll both reach the same endpoint. By that, I mean that the
> CRUD architecture in a new Forge application should match the code that we
> recommend for developers migrating from Seam 2 (specifically seam-gen
> apps). Otherwise, developers are going to be stuck trying to decide which
> direction to go...and that's no good obviously.
>
> Richard, I noticed that you are taking the no framework route by using the
> EntityManager directly and weaving both CRUD, conversation and pagination
> in a single component. Are you fixed on doing it that way, or would you
> consider using something like the CDI Query extension developed by Thomas
> and Bartosz from CTP [1]?
>
> I'm not trying to push you guys in either direction, other than I hope
> that we can settle on a single approach to become the recommended way of
> doing CRUD. The Seam community has been asking for a CRUD and Query module
> for a looooooong time, and we are now at the point where we actually need
> it ourselves.
>
> I'm interested to hear your feedback, and anyone else that has opinions or
> ideas for that matter.
>
> -Dan
>
> [1] http://ctpconsulting.github.com/query/1.0.0.Alpha2/index.html
>
> --
> Dan Allen
> Principal Software Engineer, Red Hat | Author of Seam in Action
> Registered Linux User #231597
>
> http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen
> http://mojavelinux.com
> http://mojavelinux.com/seaminaction